The Provincial Grand Lodge of Edinburgh had extended an invitation to the Edinburgh District Burns Clubs Association to attend their Ancient Rite of Consecrating the Foundation Stone of the newly restored Burns Monument on 27th March 2010.
For reasons not entirely clear, the foundation stone was not consecrated by Masonic Rite, which was the custom of the times in Edinburgh, when it was laid on 8th September 1831. A splendid formal ceremony was conducted with great dignity and decorum by Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Brother Maurice E Wilson MBE.
Some 150 masons in full regalia were present and the Edinburgh District Burns Clubs Association was represented by President Ian Chisholm, Secretary Jim Shields, Gordon Jamieson from Port Seton Burns Club and Ken McDonald, President Balerno Burns Club, together with two past presidents of Robert Burns World Federation, John Haining and Murdo Morrison.
We were given pride of place at the ceremony beside the table where the Provincial Grand Master conducted the ceremony. We were then invited to join them for lunch at the Provincial Grand Lodge of Edinburgh. Only Ken and Jim were able to accept and were honoured to be seated at the top table along with the senior officials of the Lodge. The Association was thanked for its close involvement with Edinburgh World Heritage and Edinburgh City Council in driving forward the monument restoration.
It was a privilege to be present at such an enjoyable and memorable event.
RETURN to the Top