Mrs Jane Henderson

Share:

Jane Henderson was the wife of Club Founder Member Alex Henderson, Landlord of “The Inn,” also known as “The Auld Hoose” (later known as Browsin Main Street, Balerno. Jane, Alex and their son Peter stayed upstairs at the Inn so, inevitably, it fell to Jane to cater for the Club’s early Annual Suppers.

Jane, or “Mrs Henderson” as she would always be called, was a great friend of the Club and highly respected by the membership. On the death of Peter  in 1889 then Alex the following year, she continued to run the Inn herself catering for the Club’s Suppers for a further five years up to that of 1894. At that point she sold the premises to William Brow who was to become an active member of ‘Let it Blaw’ and maintain the association between the Club and the Inn.

On her retirement, the membership of ‘Let it Blaw’ made a presentation to Jane. She left Balerno to stay at 7 Upper Coltbridge Terrace, Edinburgh.

Jane’s death on 6th June 1904 was recorded in the Club Minutes.