Became a member of ‘Let it Blaw’ c.1881
First mentioned in Toast List/Programme 1882
Early Club Records refer to a “Mr Wyllie” being involved from the earliest days. As David Wyllie Snr, wife and family were the only persons by the name of Wyllie in the Balerno area at that time, it seems safe to assume that David was THE “Mr Wyllie” named in the very few reports of 1882. That his sons, David Wyllie Jnr. and Robert Wyllie followed him as a Member of ‘Let it Blaw’ only a few years later, further adds to the belief that “Mr Wyllie” was indeed David Wyllie Snr. of Haughead Farm.
As David Snr. was known to the Founder Members well enough to appoint him to a sub-committee in late 1882, it seems reasonable to assume that he was ‘probably’ one of the 23 Gentlemen who attended the first ‘Let it Blaw’ in 1881. This is backed by the fact that a close neighbour in 1881 was John Potts who farmed what was possibly adjacent land at Bankhead Farm, Glenbrook Road, who in turn was the neighbour of Thomas Horsburgh the blacksmith from Glenbrook Road who we know WAS at the first Supper in 1881.
By the early 1890s it appears that David had retired, and was staying with David Jnr. and Robert who, by that time, was farming at Pilmuir.
( Very early records show that David’s Farm was originally spellt ‘Haugh Head’ )